Monday, December 23, 2013

Scenes from this weekend

I wish I could tell you all about the party I had on Friday night, but most of it just isn't suitable for a public audience.  I had a few friends over, and although I can't go into detail, here's a review in pictures:

This wine stopper was a big hit:


Our "signature drink" involved this:
It was quickly determined that naming our drink the "Jill-tini" was a terrible idea
Things got sloppy when this guy crashed the party:

As you can imagine, I didn't get a whole lot done on Saturday.  I spent most of the day watching movies and eating leftover meatballs.  I had a run planned, but ehhhhhh Boston's still 4 months away right?

Yesterday I got in my longest run so far, post-injury.  A whopping humdinger of a 3.1 miles.  Most of my runs have been on the safety of a treadmill, and this was my first time in probably six months running up my street.  Wow I forgot how much faster the time goes when there's something other than senior citizens doing bicep curls to look at!

I haven't really talked a lot about my heel lately because I didn't have any good updates.  A few weeks ago I had a cortisone shot which seemed to work wonders, but then after two weeks I was back in a lot of pain.  After taking another week off of running I decided to try a totally different type of shoe to see if maybe changing my gait would help.  I went rogue and ditched the Brooks, and got myself a pair of Altra Torin zero drop shoes.


It was a huge adjustment going from a supportive shoe into something with virtually no support, and I quickly realized how weak my foot/ankle/lower leg muscles are!  I was sore in places I'd never been sore before, but my heel felt great!  The wide toe box is great for my platypus feet, so I'm crossing fingers that these continue to work out for me as my runs get longer.

My plan for this week is to do a short run today (in the pouring freezing rain) and then hopefully a long run on Christmas morning.  A 5 miler sounds like a pretty great Christmas present to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment