Monday, May 5, 2014

Running Dreams and Nightmares

Runners and non-runners alike have had the dream.  The stuck-in-the-mud/quicksand/concrete dream.  I have that dream all the time, although I kind of feel like that even when I'm awake!

Lately I've had a few unusually vivid running dreams and nightmares and I just had to share them.  Please tell me I'm not the only one that has these...

The night before the Boston Marathon, I had a dream that I was being chased around my property by a deranged man in a bunny suit.



He was trying to kill me.  I went to the back door of my house and tried to sneak in, but the door was locked.  I knew my mother was in the house so I was frantically (but quietly) knocking on the door so she'd let me in.  Then I was flashing a light switch to get her attention without making too much noise and drawing the rabbit to my location.  (The light switch was on the outside of the house, but controlled the light on the inside of the house.  It's dream logic, don't fight it).  She slowly meandered into the kitchen and saw me, and I woke up before I found out if she opened the door before the rabbit caught me.

The day after Boston, I had crazy dream about running a half marathon.  It started off like a regular race, but suddenly the course was full of people scattered about like a party in the street.  I lost the runners in front of me and couldn't figure out which way to go.  The course wasn't marked, and eventually I ended up in some obstacle course inside.  I made it back outside, and saw Rich at one of the intersections.  I asked him which way the course went, and he said, "I don't know, why don't you ask that fruity guy".  I couldn't figure out what he was talking about, until I saw a guy at a corner dressed up like a kiwi.


He pointed me in the direction of a shoreline and before I knew it I was running in the water.  I finally decided to drop out of the race and just do my own 13 mile run, but then my watch didn't work and had no idea how far I had run.

A couple nights ago I had a quick dream that I was in my old apartment in Franklin, and Ryan Hall was there.  And he was trying to kill me.


Luckily I woke up fast from that dream, because I'm pretty sure Ryan could've caught me no matter where I ran and hid.  Ever since that dream I get a little creeped out when I see a picture of him.

The good thing is, I know I'm not alone with these crazy dreams.  Just this morning, Julia emailed me with the most vivid dream she had last night, about the Greenway Challenge (a run/bike/paddle relay race we did last year).  This is her email, verbatum.  I've only added pictures to bring the story to life.

I had a dream about Greenway last night. The dream first started out with Jill and I climbing Mt. Everest. 



Yes, we made it to the top and even took some selfies. 



Then, we took our spaceship to the planet Venus where the first leg of the challenge began.



 We were pretty much neck and neck with RI DEM the whole race then I was the anchor for the paddle leg but I only had a row boat. 



I still managed to pass the DEM girls and bring it home only to find out we got totally smoked by 2 russian teams. We took third.



Julia gets award for the most creative dream!

What weird running dreams or nightmares have you had?


No comments:

Post a Comment